Required Equipment to Play Lacrosse
For players just getting started in lacrosse, we know that finding the right equipment can be a bit confusing, and perhaps, even a little intimidating. It’s important to know that there are key differences in the required protective equipment between the boys’ and girls’ game, as well as between field players and goalies. Also, box lacrosse has its own unique gender-neutral equipment requirements.
Minimal equipment is required in girls’ and women’s lacrosse due to its non-contact nature. A stick, mouthguard and protective eyewear are the only required items for most players. Headgear and close fitting gloves are optional for field players. Goalies are also required to wear a helmet with face mask, a separate throat protector, padded gloves and a chest protector.
Boys field players are required to use a helmet, stick, gloves, shoulder pads, arm pads, a mouthguard and a protective cup. Rib pads are optional. Goalies are also required to wear a helmet with face mask, a separate throat protector, padded gloves and a chest protector.
- Play-It-Again Sports Roswell - Great place to get used Lacrosse gear. The team at Play-it-Again is great, and we highly recommend them for new players. Please note: CYL requires all Boys players to use NOCSAE certified Shoulder Pads. This is a new rule in 2024, and the supply of legal shoulder pads at used equipment retailers will be limited.
- Dicks Sporting Goods - Online Lacrosse Retailer.
- www.SportsStop.com - Online Lacrosse Retailer.
- www.LacrosseMonkey.com - Online Lacrosse Retailer.
- www.PowellLacrosse.com - Best place to buy new sticks that are gaurenteed to throw perfect out of the box. Best option for new players!