Select Program Overview
The Boys Select Lacrosse Program by Cambridge Youth Lacrosse (CYL) is a competitive initiative designed specifically for advanced players demonstrating high commitment to the sport. Drawing parallels with the high school varsity team, our select teams employ similar training methodologies and offensive and defensive strategies. The program expects participants to exhibit proficiency in fundamental skills such as consistent passing, catching, and shooting. The Junior and Senior select programs are the most competitive teams in Cambridge Youth Lacrosse. The program is open to all Cambridge High School district residents, with the CYL board ensuring a fair and positive experience from tryouts to the season's end.
- Junior Select: Players in 6th or 7th grade
- Senior Select: Players in 6th through 8th grade
Coaching Staff Overview
- Select Team Director: Cambridge High School Head Coach
- Responsibilities of the Select Team Director include running select tryouts, putting together proposed rosters for each team, active involvement in all Select teams, oversight of Select coaches, assistance with practice and game plans
- Senior Select Head Coach: Matt Bowerman
- Junior Select Head Coach: Dylan Zobkiw
At CYL, our Rec and Select programs prioritize the "Spirit of the Game" philosophy. This philosophy emphasizes sportsmanship, fair play, and respect for all players, coaches, and officials. However, the Select program operates more competitively than the Rec program, with league "win-loss" standings influencing post-season play-offs. Consequently, playing time in Select games is contingent on game conditions, potentially leading to uneven playing time.
Factors affecting playing time include a player's skill set, game situations (like man up/man down, penalties, possession time/substitution possibilities, injuries, and position availability), player conditioning, practice attendance, and issues related to discipline or attitude.
To maintain game competitiveness, we cap the size of our Select rosters. We conduct tryouts to ascertain which players will form the Select team. If your son cannot secure a position in the Junior Select team, he can join our U13 Rec program as an alternative. However, we currently don't have an alternative should your son not make it to the senior select team.
Active Roster Size and Position Target Ranges: Active Roster: 17-21 total. Attack: (4-6), Middie: (6-9), Def/LSM: (4-6), Goalie: (1-2)
Registration and Tryouts
- It is mandatory to pre-register for the tryouts via the CYL website to secure a tryout number. The registration window on the website will be available from late October until a few days prior to the mid-November tryouts. The registration cost is $25, which includes the tryout fee. Please note that same-day registrations are not assured and will only be accommodated if there is additional space, with an extra fee of $25. So, make sure to register early and secure your spot for the tryouts!
- A valid US Lacrosse membership
- Proof of residency (bring a utility bill to tryouts to prove residency in the Cambridge district)
- Players must wear a reversible Cambridge practice or game jersey to tryouts.
CYL will encourage any players who try out but are not selected for the Select team roster, to still participate in the Rec program. This will allow them the chance to continue to work on their skills.
Sign up for tryouts today!
Sign up for Boys Select Team Tryouts