Registration is open for Spring 2022 Select tryouts
Wednesday, November 10th
6 - 9 p.m.
Cambridge High School
Cambridge Youth Lacrosse will field two girls teams: Junior Select and Senior Select. Tryouts are open to any girl currently in 5th through 8th grade who resides within the Cambridge High School district.
Registration for tryouts is $25 and is required in advance in order to reserve a tryout number.
Registration will close Tuesday, November 9th at noon.
Walkup registrations the day of tryouts are NOT GUARANTEED and will be allowed only if space is available. Late registrants will incur an additional $25 fee. Please register in advance to secure your spot.
There will be a brief 15 minute parent meeting at the beginning of tryouts to discuss the spring season and answer any questions.
Any further questions regarding the Select process can be directed to Jason Alberici at email@example.com.
The Cambridge Youth Lacrosse (CYL) Select program is designed for the advanced skill /competitive lacrosse player and being a part of this team requires a higher-level commitment. The select teams have similar training methods, offense and defense, and intensity levels as a high school team. Players are expected to be able to consistently pass & catch and demonstrate all fundamental aspects of the game. Any player who resides in the Cambridge High School district is eligible to tryout. Before the tryouts begin, CYL wants interested players and their parents to be clear on the expectations of anyone involved in the Select program. This information is intended to help facilitate the decision between the Select and Rec program.
As in CYL’s Rec program, the Select program adheres to the “Spirit of the Game” philosophy. This means sportsmanship, fair play, and respect for all players, coaches & officials remain a primary focus. However, Select games are intended to be played and coached more competitively than Rec games. Select teams are held to league “win-loss” standings with implications for post season play-offs. As such, playing time will be dictated by game conditions and can result in some players receiving more playing time than others. Playing time on Select teams can be impacted by:
- Skill set
- Game situations (man up/man down, penalties, possession time/substitution possibilities, injuries, position availability, etc.)
- Conditioning of player
- Practice attendance
- Discipline/Attitude issues
In order to be competitive in games, Select roster sizes are limited, and tryouts will be held to determine which players will be on the Select team roster.
Active Roster Size Ranges:
- Active Roster 17-21 players total consisting of:
EXPECTATIONS OF PLAYERS
CYL encourages and promotes multi-sport athletes. However, during the Select season we expect players to commit to lacrosse as their primary sport.
- Coaches expect 100% effort
- Unless we are going through a new drill at a slower speed while learning, everything is at maximum effort. This starts at and includes pre-practice/game warm-ups, through to the last whistle.
- Physical conditioning is critical and running will be a component of practice time. Get in shape and stay in shape.
- Coaches expect 100% focus
- When coaches are talking/teaching, players need to be listening.
- Full attention is required while at practice.
- Socializing can be done prior to practice/game, limited during water breaks, and after practice/game.
- Attend ALL practices/games with a positive attitude towards your team, eager to learn, and to continue to improve stick skills and lacrosse IQ.
- The history of lacrosse teaches us about respect….A POSITIVE ATTITUDE IS A MUST.
- Be a good teammate
- Support your fellow lax teammates on and off the field.
- Celebrate your teammates’ success.
- Everyone makes mistakes! Help your teammates learn from mistakes or shortcomings in a positive way. Some of our most valuable lessons are learned in these instances.
- Verbal or physical bullying/arguments will not be tolerated and could result in removal from the team. If this is identified, please report it to your player’s coach and/or Program Director.
- Attend all practices and games
- A team is comprised of every player. So, to practice as a team…we all need to commit to being at every practice.
- In the rare instance that your player cannot attend a practice or game, please COMMUNICATE this information to your coach as soon as possible.
- Practice plans and game plans are made well in advance. Missing players can drastically impact the rest of the team.
- Practice outside of scheduled practices
- Opportunities to improve your game outside of practice:
- Play catch (using both hands), with focus on your off-hand. Work with a teammate, parent, another CYL participant or find a wall for wallball.
- Seek outside assistance by attending a clinic or working with a coach/trainer
- Watch Lacrosse Training Youtube Videos: The US Lacrosse Channel has excellent videos (for all positions) to learn and practice your skills and drills: https://www.youtube.com/user/uslacrosse8/videos
- Work on conditioning. As noted above, get in shape and stay in shape.
- Opportunities to improve your game outside of practice:
EXPECTATIONS OF COACHES
- Adhere to the guidance of the Select Team Director.
- Create a positive environment for players to continue to develop their individual and team lacrosse skills.
- Set and communicate appropriate expectations with parents and players.
- Maintain an open line of communications with players and parents.
- Foster and implement the Cambridge Way.
EXPECTATIONS OF PARENTS/GUARDIANS
- Get your player to games and practices on time and with full equipment and water.
- Support the efforts of all players in a positive manner.
- Communicate with coaches if there is ever a disconnect between expectations and reality.
- Sideline behavior
- Please support your players to the fullest extent possible.
- Please refrain from coaching your player – LET THE COACHES COACH.
- Never criticize the referees.
- Never criticize another player…on our team or the opposing team.
- Never engage parents from the opposing team.
- Registration for tryouts is required in advance through the CYL website to reserve a tryout number. Tryout registration will be open on the website from late October through a day or two before tryouts in mid November. A fee of $25 will cover tryouts. Walk up registrations the day of the tryouts are not guaranteed, and will be taken only if space is available, and with an additional $25 fee. Register in advance to secure your spot at tryouts!
- A valid US Lacrosse membership
- Proof of residency (Bring a utility bill to tryouts to prove residency in the Cambridge district).
- Our goal is to finalize our Junior and Senior Select teams and provide invitations to selected players within one week of tryouts.
CYL encourages any and all players who try out, but are not selected for the Select team roster, to still participate in the Rec program. This will allow them the chance to continue to work on their skills, and develop as a stronger lacrosse player through the Cambridge Way.
SEE YOU ON THE FIELDS,
~Cambridge Youth Lacrosse Board
2845 Bethany Bend
Milton, GA 30004